Thursday, November 25, 2010

British Commentaries

Travelling alone, you tend to naturally eavesdrop into other people's conversations. Everybody does it. And majority of the time discussions about who-kissed-who, or she-wore-that? don't spark much interest. That is, until i arrived in London.

Today i retreated from this nasty 1degree weather (-1 degrees tonight) into Cafe L'Opera for a hot coffee to warm up. Minding my own business, i suddenly found myself listening to two older women, probably in their 60's. For the sake of this story, we'll say one was, 'Sandra', and the other, 'Audrey'. Given their agitated and hushed tones, one could assume that Sandra was consulting Audrey about a major problem she was having. Here's what i got, bearing in mind the posh English accent: (Yes, i was taking notes at the time; no plagiarism involved)

Sandra: It's just, I've had them for years
Audrey: Oh, i know
Sandra: But she was incredibly positive. And so supportive of my decision... i think I'm doing ever so well
Audrey: You really are, darling
Sandra: And it made me realise: I can do it. I really can

.. what were they talking about, you ask?

Making the transition from acrylic nails to gel nails, naturally.
I seriously have to avoid every going to knightsbridge neighbourhood again.

But wait! There's more. This evening i was making my way back from seeing The Social Network (first paid movie this year!) when i overheard a guy ask another girl, presumably one of his friends...

'So after how long did he find out you were a transsexual?'

Talk about free entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment